Silicon Based Technologies for Micro and Nano Systems
Fraunhofer Institute for Electronic Nano Systems
"Silicon Based Technologies for Micro and Nano Systems" combine the equipment and stuff, the know-how and the technological processes for manufacturing silicon based micro and nano systems. Silicon based technologies have been developed at the Center for Microtechnologies ZfM of Chemnitz University of Technology just since the ealy 90s. With the foundation of the department Multi Device Integration of Fraunhofer IZM in Chemnitz (mow Fraunhofer ENAS) the technological portfolio has been expanded and further developed in direction of application-oriented manufacturing of prototypes and integration technologies.
In the future the focus will be on the development and integration of nano structures for new and novel systems. The dapartment Multi Device Integration and marginally Systems Packaging contribute to this core competence.
Based on the technological development of the past 20 years the following technologies have been established and are applied for manufacturing protoypes in the business unit "MIcro and Nano Systems" and "Green and Wireless Systems":
- Surface high aspect ratio technologies for high precision capacitive MEMS (AIM, SCREAM, BDRIE)
- Technologies for reducing pitches to nm range
- Technologies for RF-MEMS based on capacitive and ohmic principles
- Technologies for hermetic encapsulation on wafer level
- Application-specific bulk technolgies
- Technologies for precision actuators
- Technologies for precision mechanical parts and components
- Technological processes for photovoltaics.
As the line is very flexible it is possible to develop new technologies for MEMS/NEMS for the in-house production process (design, technology, development, prototypes, test), for customer specific MEMS/NEMS and single processes. The technology can also be transferred to the customer.